Friday, April 4, 2014

MAINTAIN HEALTHY HAIR WHILE WEARING A SEW-IN

Sew-ins are great.  They keep your hair away so you don’t have to style it.  They give your hair a break from the elements.  However, it is not a hairstyle that allows you to be lazy.  Neglecting the hair underneath is a big mistake many women make when wearing sew- ins.  Not paying attention to the hair underneath the weave can leave you with a mess once you take the weave down.  However it’s not that easy to access the hair underneath the weave.  Washing your hair, moisturizing your scalp and of course scratching become ten times harder when wearing a sew-in.  How can you take care of your hair without your weave becoming greasy and product heavy?  I have some tips that may help, especially if you maintain your sew-ins without the help of a beautician.




  1. Leave the oils alone.  Oils can be really good for your scalp, but they’re your weave’s worst enemy.  Oiling your scalp almost always leaves you with a greasy weave because they are runny.  There are alternative ways to get moisture to your hair and scalp.  Leave in conditioner is one option.  Lightly push the conditioner into your braids.  Another product I recommend is Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker.  This is a great moisturizer you can use for your scalp and braids.  It’s very light and it’s a thin cream so it isn’t messy.
  2. wash the braids underneath when you shampoo your weave. we don't like washing our hair when we have weave because of the  fear  of our braids getting lose and old but never neglect the health of your hair, for the sake of maintaining  a hairstyle longer
  3. Take out your weave. Never leave your weave in for more than two months.  Two months is even pushing it.  At this point your braids begin to matte and tangle and so all that length you obtained while you wore your sew-in will break off when you have to detangle your hair.  Remember your hair will be very dirty underneath at this point also.  It will probably itch all the time at this point because your hair and scalp need a good, real wash.  Don’t hold on to an old weave; when its time, its time.
  4. Fix the issues before the next sew-in.  If you’re experiencing a lot of shedding or breaking once you take down your weave, find the source of the issue and fix it.  Getting another sew in will only complicate things further.  Wigs will give you the chance to fix any damage if you aren’t comfortable wearing your hair.  If you use a wig, take full advantage of the fact that it is removable.  Pamper your hair back to health and when you’re at home take the wig off and let your hair get some air.

45 comments:

  1. Another great tips. Thanks. Can u do a post on how to maintain braids?

    nkykate2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The too much oil thing is so tue. Great tips
    www.fashionitazbybuiti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. True talk my dear. Weaves can be the best and worst thing that ever happened to any of us ladies that wear them. Great post.

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing this..as usual, twas needed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't have being said any better. I still worry about washing my hair with weave on, i just take it out and let my hair breathe. That why we loose so much hair

    Thanks for sharing!

    xx

    www.mzcocoh.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spraying plain water on the tracks can help too. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tips are always so helpful. I'm now trying to achieve longer and healthier hair and i also follow ur tipps as well. Thnks for sharing n for ur help.

    xx Lori
    http://fabeau-trends.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips,now I know better than to sprinkle oil in my hair while wearing a weave.
    www.ronilurvedairies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips! I was a victim of putting oil in my weaves!
    Effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for this lovely tips.
    http://sophialastyles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post very much. I am guilty of number 2, lol!! Thanks for the great tips sis. :-) Have a great week.

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you talk about all hair concerns! You are so knowledgeable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing and for your lovely comment! x

    |Head Enough|

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant!! I learn from here everyday.
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always learn so much from your blog. Such a great reference. I would appreciate it if you entered my
    $50 Tanny's Couture Blogiversary
    (www.tannyscouture.com) gift card giveaway.

    Enter here:
    http://fabulousperks.blogspot.com/2014/04/all-white-nude-pumps-one-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love, your posts, i love everypost you write and this one, is one of my best on your blog uchenna.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great advice my dear friend. I personally prefer wigs to weaves for all the reasons you mentioned above. I like its ease and versatility too; you know, a different look without having to go through the stress of sew-ins, glue and all that...

    Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 2 months is way too long to wear weaves. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's exactly what I do with my wig. I take it off when I get home and moisturize my natural hair. I'm wearing the wig now in order to keep me from messing with my hair too much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the tips. Tend to just avoid thinking about these issues and later suffering the consequences :/ typical :D

    xoxo Gozika
    http://gozikasjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Have a lovely evening,kisses..
    http://rock4less.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. i wear my weaves for not more than a month and wash it with the weave after 2 weeks. its frustrating tryin to get at the tracks beneath, and you cant reach every inch of your scalp, but washing really helps the health of my hair and in hot weather, it prevents itching and my hair smells great.
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this lovely tips.
    http://sophialastyles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wigs are the best protective styles for me. I used to do braids but i decided to stick wigs now, i will no longer have to deal with haidressers Who do not understand How to be gentle when combing or parting natural hair. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice tips dear, two months is too long, heat and oil can react on the hair and moulds would grow

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are great tips for those who have these...I've never had them, I couldn't sit long enough to do it. Love the tips though. Have a wonderful week doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have a very sweet Monday. Kisses..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful post!
    By the way I've never visited your blog before..it's really interesting! Keep it up! :)
    If you want you could come to visit my blog, i would be happy to know what you think about it and stay in touch :)
    And if you want we could follow via GFC and also support each other on our socials, just let me know on my blog :)

    twitter//instagram //lookbook //facebook //bloglovin

    SMILE'S AVENUE
    xoxo
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great tips!!' Love this post especially because I have a sew in presently and I have a hard time washing very well because its not like braids which is much more accessible. I like the tip of using leave in conditioner more than using hair oils! That for sharing:)
    www.yvonnesloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cool tips. I love to sew in too,very easy to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips as always

    Frankaakano.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Many women spend a lot of money buying hair extensions, install weaves and don ´t know how to take care of it. great post, my friends should read this.

    http://krauseshoenheit.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love wearing weaves, I also love taking care of my natural hair. These tips are always so helpful.


    Fabulousperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have read the post and the information which you have shared that is really good and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Are u okay? Haven't 'seen' u in ages?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wud up NNE. Hope you are good you've been mia for over 2 months, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yes ladies, please don't leave your weave in for long. You would die id you knew what actually goes on in there during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Maintaining healthy hair while wearing a sew-in is important. Nice post.

    All-in-All|Kraheenah

    ReplyDelete
  39. How are we???
    Just stopped in to say hi..since April no post? Or you've moved?
    Hope you are good though?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...